Written by Youth Services Manager Teri Rankin. This article originally appeared in the O’Fallon Weekly.
Monday, January 24 was a big day for geeks like me. You may know, from previous January columns, that the Caldecott, Newbery, and other Youth Media Awards are revealed in late January!
Could it get more exciting?!
If you are a fan like me, check out the list of winners at: https://bit.ly/34jhMcw — the Association for Library Service to Children, a roundtable of the American Library Association.
Every year the staff of the Youth Services Department likes to put together a list of our favorite books picture books for the year. (Well to be honest, I ask my staff to put together a list of their favorites!)
Sometimes our lists include Caldecott and Newbery winners, sometimes they don’t. All the books on our lists are owned by the library so check them out next time you come in!
Ms. Teri’ List
• The Longest Storm – Dan Yaccarino
• The Midnight Fair – Gideon Sterer
• Moon Pops – Hui-na Baek
• Stroller Coaster – Matt Ringler
• Watercress – Andrea Wang
Ms. Julie’s List
• Animals Go Vroom – Abi Cushman
• Applesauce Is Fun to Wear – Nancy Raines Day
• Best Day Ever! – Margaret Singer
• Fred Gets Dressed – Peter Brown
• It’s So Quiet: A Not Quite-Going-To-Bed Book – Sherri Duskey Rinker
• The Rice in the Pot Goes Round and Round – Wendy Wang- Wong Shang
Ms. Becky’s List
• Change Sings – Amanda Gorman
• A Hundred Thousand Welcomes – Mary Lee Donovan
• Playing at the Border: A Story of Yo-Yo Ma – Joanna Ho
• What is God Like – Rachel Held Evans
Gina Hudson from Holistic Spa Treatments will begin the series, Young Leaders Mindfulness Program. It will take place on the first Wednesday of each month, beginning on February 2, 4:30 – 5:30 PM. Kids in 2nd – 6th grades will learn to harness the power of mindfulness to ease anxiety, mental stress and increase happiness.
There will be meditation, reflective conversation, and interactive activities to teach awareness and build character. Class is limited to 20 individuals and all attendees must wear facial masks. To register go to: https://ofpl.info/events/kidsmind
Are your kids fascinated by all things “little”? If so, may I recommend our miniature book making workshop on February 19 at 1 PM? Each participant will learn how to make their own library of tiny books.
For more information and to register go to: https://ofpl.info/events/mini-bookworkshop
Leave a Reply