In this week’s O’Fallon Weekly column, Youth Services Manager, Teri Rankin, looks back at 2017 through the lens of the Library services and also looks ahead to upcoming events.
For example, the library loaned 338, 981 items in 2017, and 175,812 people visited the library. The most popular books based on the number of checkouts were:
- Adult Fiction – The Fix, by David Baldacci
- Adult Nonfiction – Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance
- Adult DVD – The Accountant
- Children’s Fiction – The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney
- Children’s Nonfiction – Minecraft Combat Handbook by Stephanie Milton
- Children’s DVD – The Secret Life of Pets
- Young Adult Fiction – The Maze Runner by James Dashner
As Teri said, your tax dollars were hard at work this past year!
In addition, Teri shared her 2017 Top-Ten Picture Books:
- A Different Pond by Bao Phi
- Shelter by Celine Claire
- Creepy Pair of Underwear by Aaron Reynolds
- The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet by Carmen Agra Deedy
- Go Sleep in Your Own Bed by Candace Fleming
- Dad and the Dinosaur by Jennifer Choldenko
- Home in the Rain by Bob Graham
- Stay: a Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List by Kate Klise
- On the Night of the Shooting Star by Amy Hest
Looking forward, Teri shares many of the upcoming events and activities for families with 2 and 3-year-old children. “Our Preschool Information Fair takes place on Saturday, January 13, at 10:30 until noon in the Community Room. Representatives from area preschools will be available to answer questions about programs and services,” Teri said.
First graders and up can bring a friend to Goodness, Gracious, Great Board Games and learn some new games. This fun event will be hosted by a team member form Fantasy Books and Games on Saturday, January 27, from 10:30 – noon.
Adults and children are invited to complete the library-wide Scavenger Hunt. Participants can learn more about the not-so-hidden gems in the building and vie for prizes. Children will search primarily in the Youth Services area. Come in out of the cold and take a good look around. You may be pleasantly surprised.
As always, you can check out our weekly column each Wednesday in the O’Fallon Weekly in newsstands or online.
- Persepolis — Climbing the Stairs with a Librarian
- Win a book from the Children’s Department! And learn about our special selections.
- A Moment for Queen Elizabeth II
- The Books that Made O’Fallon Love to Read, a Book List and Reader Advisory
- The Importance of Reading from Director Ryan Johnson in Library News & Notes