The O’Fallon Public Library had its first Adult Writing Contest this summer showcasing the writing skills and passions of area writers, ages 18 and up.
Over 80 entries were received between June 1 and midnight, August 1. Winners were selected by a 4-person panel of judges and were announced August 21.
Booklets will be printed and available for purchase (details forthcoming!). Visit our website to read the other winning entries.
Best Poem: “Symphony By The Sea”
By Frances Lewis
As creation trumpets its arrival
The Maestro raises his moon baton
And the symphony of the sea begins!
The ocean mix becomes a delightful kaleidoscope–
sound, rhythm and color.
Ballerina breakers leap to a crystal crescendo
Before bursting upon the beach.
Waltzing waves accompany the swinging swells leaning seaward,
and the blues movement sways to and fro.
Singing streamlets run down the sand to join the reoccurring theme.
The sea spray harmonizes with the sunshine
Creating a jeweled, but resting rainbow.
Eons and humans pass and the musical magic of the sea continues
in the never-ending symphony of a million movements.
- Book Sale Results and Tax Savings from Director Ryan Johnson
- The Hobbit — Climbing the Stairs with an O’Fallon Librarian
- Live Presentation by the History Guy and More Events in Library News & Notes
- Free Diapers for Families at O’Fallon Public Library
- 21 Books to Read for Mental Health Awareness Month, a Reader’s Advisory